An ethical Qurbani
This year, Eid ul Adha will be celebrated by millions of Muslims across the world as families come together to reflect and give thanks to Allah for His endless blessings. It is a time of generosity and selflessness as we provide the poor and the needy with much needed meat so they can join the celebrations with their families.
During this sacred festival, we sacrifice an animal in remembrance of the Prophet Ibrahim (AS), and distribute the meat to our families, neighbours and those living in poverty. During these festivities, we rarely give a thought to the animal that has blessed us with life sustaining meat. What kind of life did it lead? Was it healthy?
That’s why at Salam Charity we have developed the Ethical Qurbani which looks at the welfare of the animal before sacrifice and how the meat is distributed.
Key factors of an ethical Qurbani
- Cows must be over the age of 2.
- Goats and sheep must be at least one year old.
- The animal must be healthy and without any disabilities.
- The animal must have records of welfare forat least 6 months.
- The animals cannot be separated from offspring.
- The animal must be treated with kindness and reared properly with adequate feeding and space to roam freely.
- The slaughter must be quick and painless —one clean stroke of the sharp blade.
- Animals must be held in a separate location to where the slaughter will happen so as not to distress the animal.
- The meat must be distributed as quickly as possible to avoid contamination.
- Meat will be distributed to those who live below the internationally recognised poverty line.
Donate now to our Qurbani appeal
Smaller animals such as goats and sheep count as 1 Qurbani, whereas larger animals such as cows are split into seven shares. One person can donate just one share or seven shares in memory of loved ones. The choice is yours.
This year we have decided to concentrate on Bangladesh to ensure that our ethical Qurbani campaign brings in the best possible results and the meat goes to those who need it most.
With your help we can provide thousands of people with lifesaving protein and give them a hope of a brighter tomorrow.